So the Good News is I have a new job, I start November 8th. I'm very excited, I think this company will grow exponentially and I'm getting in on the ground floor. I will be doing what I do best, solving problems, selling ideas and working with people. I'm very excited about the opportunity. I feel like I've bounced a few times now since leaving Johnson and Johnson and during this time I have learned what I am definitely not good at.
1) I'm not good at being a stay at home mom. I love my kids, and enjoy spending time with them, but I guess I have worked for too long, I need a packed schedule and a feeling of accomplishment. Clean clothes does not give me a feeling of accomplishment.
2) I'm not good at turning around problem clients, when I'm not 100% knowledgeable. My first job after my failed sahm experiment was a Client Manager for an outsourced Help desk. The Client was brutal. The Help Desk was in Bulgaria. I was not a good peacemaker in that situation.
3) I'm not good at being a world traveller. I don't like leaving my family for weeks at a time and being in a place that is 7 hours ahead of my family's time zone. And right now with all that is going on in the world, I don't really enjoy flying internationally.
4) I'm not good at being oncall 24-hours-7 days a week. When one is the Client Manager of a 24x7 help desk, one is on call that often. I received a few too many 3:00AM calls on a Saturday.
5) I'm not good at uncertainty. I was given a layoff notice one Tuesday and had an interview the following Wednesday. I need predictability.
6) I'm not good at working a job that doesn't really need me. I've been able to blog because I've had no work to do. I don't do well with no work.
7) It IS about the money. I always thought it wasn't about the money for me, and it probably isn't to the extent that it is for my husband as an example. But while I was not getting paid, I realized it is at least in some small part about the money.
8) I'm not good about long commutes. As I've spent over 2 hours a day/5 days a week in my car for the last 6 months, I realize that my time with my children is too precious for that.
9) I'm not good at sitting all day. I've gained 20 pounds since starting the new job and I do not like it.
10) I can trust God and he will help my situation. This is perhaps the most important lesson of them all.
And the Bad News....
The new job will actually be work. I'm trying to work on blogging at night when I get home, and hopefully I will be able to, with some regularity, but I don't think it will be 5 days/week. :(